Arms and hands are part of effective communication. And just as with speaking, clarity makes a difference.
- Hands are most effective when they reinforce what is being said.
- Arms and hands mid-level, in conjunction with what is being said, help clarify.
- When arms/hands are more enthusiastic than the voice, they can be distracting.
- Unison arms/hands, pumping in rhythm, are like speaking in monotone.
- Arms/hands above the head tend to read as shouting.
- Arms/hands low with little movement tend to read as whispering.
- Arms/hands locked at the waist, in a number of positions, are like mumbling